Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Praying for Squirrels

My tall girl person took the kiddos for a walk yesterday evening. On their way home, they saw an older lady standing in her yard looking upset. As they walked by, they said hi and the woman proceeded to tell them that a squirrel was hit by a car and she didn't know what to do about it. She had moved it from the street to her yard and it was dying. The conversation went something like this:

Woman: "I just don't know what to do. I used a stick and dust pan to move it over here, but I can't kill it."

Katie: "Oh, well, um, I don't know. Maybe you could call animal control and they can take care of it?"

Woman: "But they'll just kill it. Oh, it's face is smooshed in and flies are already on it."

Katie thinks to herself: Oh lady, that was a lot of detail for my 3 year old to hear. Now she's going to be obsessing about dying, smooshed squirrels. Also? It sounds like you're asking me to heal the squirrel or bandage it up. Sorry, I don't have that capability.

Katie: "I'm not sure what you should do."

Katie thinks to herself: Why don't you use that stick and dust pan to put the squirrel in the trash can so it can die in there? She probably wouldn't like that suggestion since she wants the squirrel to be miraculously healed. How can I politely and quickly end this bizarre conversation so Lily doesn't hear anymore about dying, smooshed squirrels?

Katie: "Yeah, I don't know. Sorry."

My people start to walk away and hear the lady talking again. Katie turns around thinking she was still talking to her only to find the lady leaning over the squirrel saying "I'm sorry, buddy. I just don't know what to do for you."

And scene.

So, my tall girl person got to spend the last 1/2 mile of their walk explaining to Lily that yes, the squirrel was hit by a car. Yes, it's probaby going to die. Yes, sometimes rabbits get hit by cars. Yes, sometimes dogs get hit by cars. Yes, the squirrel will live with Jesus and Jesus will take care of it. Yes, we can say a prayer for the squirrel.

Thanks, lady. You made my tall girl person pray for a squirrel, a rodent with a fluffy tail. Nice job.

2 comments:

HisBell said...

Oh my... I don't know what I would have done in that situation... lol. Poor rodent...

Jersey said...

I am THIS close to catching squirrels in my backyard. I imagine they're quite tasty.