Friday, March 2, 2007

Big Bed

I have been working for several years on finding a way to sleep all night on the big bed with my people. It has been a long journey. When I was a pup, I used to sleep in my crate every night. Well, one year during Christmas break, I decided I had enough of that. I convinced my people to let me sleep upstairs at night. That was a big step. At that time, it was a definite no-no for me to ever consider getting on the big bed. My people started putting those nasty mouse traps on the bed to keep me off. I hate those things. They can snap at you at the slightest movement. Well, sometimes during the day, they would forgot to put the traps out and I would enjoy the comfort of the queen size pillow-top. But, I always got yelled at once they realized I was on the bed. Over time, I wore the people down. Eventually, the traps only appeared near the pillows and I was able to consistently nap on the bed while basking in the sun. I knew that since the traps were still there, the pillows must be something special. I started burrowing in the pillows every chance I got. It is so soft up there. It is perfect to curl up in for a long nap.

Despite all of this progress, I was rarely allowed to sleep on the bed at night. Sometimes, I can start off up there, but it never lasts. The hairless one usually gets grumpy and starts poking and kicking me until I leave. Well, last night, I discovered a new trick. I was having another one of my dreams while sleeping on my inferior dog bed at the foot of the real bed. I must have been barking, because my person that never leaves anymore woke me up and told me to be quiet. I took this opportunity to try getting onto the bed. To my surprise, they didn't seem to mind at all. I was able to snuggle in between my people for at least an hour before they got up. I think they were trying to keep me quiet so that I wouldn't wake up the little one. So, it seems that all I need to do now is bark in the middle of the night. Presto! I get access to the bed. I'll have to try this again soon....

1 comment:

BaileyDog said...

Give it time, young Norm. It won't be long before you have the humans sleeping AROUND you and where you choose to sleep...