After many long hours of travel, they arrived at their rental house for the week.
They planned to spend several days skiing at Breckenridge, CO. One day, one of my people spotted a set of bear tracks near the house.
If those are bear tracks, it must have been tip-toeing. Whatever it was, I could've taken care of it without any problems. Since I was still in Missouri, I couldn't protect them. Despite the warning signs, my people still insisted on skiing. In fact, they ventured into an area that offered lots of hiding places for nasty attackers. The following is a picture looking down at the Black Diamond run "Ore Bucket".

They made a wise decision and picked a different run. There were just too many hiding places for bears. They opted for the nearby blue run "Monte Cristo". It only had a few trees where a bear could hide. It was a seemingly much safer place to ski.
My girl person and Bailey Dog's tall person proceeded to ski quite close to one of the few clumps of trees. In fact, they went right through the middle of a group of three trees and veered right. My bald person tried to follow, but decided to veer left in an attempt to hit an awesome jump. The tip-toeing bear was guarding the approach to the jump. He had cleverly disguised himself as a harmless tree branch. When baldy came flying past, the bear pounced and ripped open his face.
After some discussion as to what to do, the three of them skied to the bottom of the run where they were able to get help from the Ski Patrol. They loaded the injured one onto a tobaggon. With the help of a snow mobile, they pulled him over to the first aid station. I understand it looked something like this.

He was eventually transported to the Medical Center where they sewed his face back together with 7 stitches. You can see in the pictures below that the bear got him pretty good. There is a deep gash about an inch and a half long near his mouth. A shallower cut extends all the way to his ear, and a there was a scratch around the back of his head. There were also some bruises on his lips and and jaw bone.
There are more pictures to share, but my paws are getting tired. I'll post again soon.
1 comment:
What kind of bear was that, Norm? A "viscous" bear? Did it have a bunch of honey in it and just didn't flow very well? Sounds scary. You might tell your people to try some WD-40 on it next time.
As a side note, Hershey visited me this past weekend. I'm sure you remember her -- she's one crazy broad. Give her a tennis ball and she'll run for hours. I just laughed and shook my head. Then I went about my usual business of annoying the crap out of her -- good times.
Post a Comment